Sunday, March 21, 2010

On Thursday I went for a 2-hr wheelchair training course which was organised by my CCA. Initially I didn't really want to go, as I was too overwhelmed with all the disgusting projects that are due next week. Secondly, I assumed that wheelchair is afterall just wheelchair, and all you need to do is just to push it from behind. But I'm glad I went for it, as I did learn alot of things on how to handle it properly.

And to be frank, it's definitely NOT as easy as most people assume it to be. The instructor brought a few wheelchairs for us to practise on, and taught us some techniques such as bringing it up/down the staircase, slopes, rough terrain etc. When I played the role of a helper, in which I was supposed to support my friend who's seated on the wheelchair, my main focus was just to get that wheelchair from one point to another point. I mean like it's tiring to try lifting up a wheelchair up a flight of stairs lar. I was already panting like hell when I completed the task, and I just thought "wah lao, actually the disabled person like so shiok, got ppl to help him or her up"

How wrong can I get.

And when it's my turn to be seated on the wheelchair, and my friend(s) were supposed to role-play by pushing from behind or lift the wheelchair up the stairs, it's super INSECURED lar. E.g. while we were going up a relatively deep slope, the wheelchair can easily get out of control and it's so DANGEROUS if it just rolls down on its own. And when the wheelchair needs to be tilted in order to go up/down the stairs, you can just FALL anytime if the supporter lets go of his hand. Even though it was just for a relatively short moment, I can greatly sense the inconvenience of trying to move around in a wheelchair all by yourself. And you just feel frustrated and tensed when the helpers were not not being thoughful to your feelings, as their only motive is just to move the wheelchair from point A to point B.

So today I spent the entire saturday in school, as there was a group of physically disabled children who visited NTU to have some game sessions with us. Okay lar, almost most of them uses electronic wheelchairs, and so we didn't really put our training to use. But still, nobody can deny the fact that being physically disabled can bring so much inconvenience, and most people are too insensitve to their special needs.

And ta-da, the photos for today. So after today's event by my CCA, I hope I've learnt to more understanding to the physically disabled, and more importantly, to have greater patience for them.

No comments: