Thursday, August 06, 2009

I think I'm kinda lazy to blog about all the places I have been to, but I'll just blog about one place - 靖国神社 (Yasukuni Jinja)

On the second day I was in Japan, I went there to pay a visit. Wellz, that place is kinda large, and yes, the shrine by itself has nothing much. There's a place where you throw the coins, clap ur hands and pray (Japanese style of praying, if you ever watch Japanese shows). So I just follow suit and try my best to blend in with the others who were there.

Anyway, my main purpose was to visit the Japanese War Museum that was inside Yasukuni Shrine. Wellz, I guess not many tourists were there (due to sensitive issues), but I do see a few ang-moh who were there as if they were on some study trip, scribbling notes here n there.

The War museum was rather informative as it showcased not only abut WW2, as well as some of the early warring era within Japan a few centuries ago, and proceed on to sino-jap war, russia-jap war..then WW2..blah blah. But during that 1.5 hrs while I was walking inside the museum (there's alot of things there!), I felt that the Japanese kinda gave "excuses" for going War. Their main "reason" is that there is a lack of natural resources, and so the only way to survive is to conquer new land. Well, perhaps it's true to centain extent, but that doesn't give Japan the right to invade foreign land.

Secondly, I didn't really see any form of "apology" or "remorse" on the part of Japan to the victim countries that they have invaded. They are only concern that to continue this war will bring more pain to their own Japanese people, and so they decided to surrender. Wellz, WW2 has ended almost 60 years ago, and I think I don't have the right to give any critical comments. But I believe non-Japanese will have a more ACCURATE idea of what this Pacific War is about.

And of cuz, one part of the museum showcased how they conquered Malaya/S'pore. The last part of the museum showed all the black and white photos of the Japanese ppl (Soldiers/civillians/males/females) who were enshrined in Yasukuni Shrine. The photos were like "printed" on tiles, and have a glossy effect. Omg, it's kinda EERIE can!?!? There's like thousands of such black and white "photo tiles" of the people that are sticked to the walls. As I was looking around, I think majority of the people in the photos were very young, probably in their late 10s to late 20s. (Actually their age were stated as well, and how they die, where they die etc etc) Some were kamikaze pilots who were in their early 20s, or university/high school gals who helped out in the war, and obviously most of them were military soldiers in their uniform, and all were very young lar! Which means that if there were still alive, they would probably be 80++ of age now.

Conclusion: Wellz, I think it serves as a refresher to my history knowledge? And when I went back to hostel and told some of the Japanese that I went to Yasukuni shrine, they were kinda shocked as well, because they themselves also try to avoid such "sensitive place".

No comments: